Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Traditions


Tradition is very important to me.


Having a strong root system that shows where you come from has always been a part of my life. I live on piece of land that is been in my family for well over 60 years in a house my grandfather built and my parents worked on.


My mom lives next door.


Because of my respect for the past and for history I have a love for tradition. I think it is important for children to have established traditions and routines in their lives that they can look back on when they are older and have their own kids.


The holidays are one of the best times to have traditions. And they don;t have to be anything major either-little things can a tradition make.


Like my family- it is a small thing but we make Christmas cookies every year- as a family. We make the cookies and decorate them. This year the little guy also requested that we make cupcakes. So a new tradition may have been n=born with such a simple request.


Another tradition is decorating the tree together. This to me is a big deal. I think the whole family should always decorate together. It is a wonderful experience.


I think every one's favorite holiday tradition by far is making Christmas cards together. Every year we get out the art and craft supplies: glitter, glue, stickers, scrap paper, ribbon, old Christmas cards, scraps of wrapping paper, etc and we make holiday cards to give to each other and the other special people in our lives. It's fun, meaningful, and a yearly holiday tradition.


We also sit around and watch every sappy Christmas movie that comes on TV. Thank goodness for DVRs because I am recording them all to watch at our leisure.


What are your holiday traditions?



No comments: