Monday, March 28, 2011

How-to: DIY Texture Paint Over Paneling

My kitchen used to be a 1970s nightmare. Ugly brown and yellow floral paneling in the dining area. The paneling was ugly, uneven in some areas and completely outdated. It was hideous.
But when it was time to remodel we didn’t have the time or budget to tear it out and drywall everything. What could I do to update the walls without spending a fortune?

I decided on texture painting with a faux finish.

Texture painting and faux finishes can help cover and transform not so perfect walls. I couldn’t believe how fabulous my walls looked when I was finished. Since then I’ve learned that this technique can be used to hide uneven drywall, cement walls, cover old paneling and even wallpaper.

Want to know how I did it?

I knew just painting over the paneling would not look good as all of the seams would still show. I did some research and spent a lot of time at the local Home Depot looking at products and scanning through books. I finally figured out a way to make it work.

Click here to keep reading.

No comments: