CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 1, 2012

Now on Tour The Burning of Isobel Key By Jen McConnel



Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Thanks so much for having me on your blog! I write in a variety of genres, including YA Paranormal, NA Contemporary, and NA Historical. Maybe someday I’ll even try dabbling in Thriller or Horror.  My love of writing stems from my love of reading, and I’ve managed to create multiple careers around books: I was a bookseller, a middle school English teacher, and a middle school librarian before I stopped teaching full-time and stepped into the role of a full-time writer.  Even now, I can’t escape teaching: I teach writing and critical reading at a community college, and I love how much I continue to learn about writing from my students.

Tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

Gladly!  THE BURNING OF ISOBEL KEY began as my first NaNoWriMo novel.  For those of you who haven’t yet succumbed to the insanity of NaNo, give it a shot this year: the goal is to write a “novel” (50K words) start to finish in the month of November.  Now, my debut has evolved A LOT since I started it in 2009, but NaNo is a really fun way to spark your creativity.  You never know what you’ll create: this novel certainly surprised me!

ISOBEL KEY is the story of Lou, a twenty-six-year-old woman who’s in the midst of a quarter-life crisis.  Just before she travels to Scotland with her best friend, she quits her job in a bookstore.  What she thinks of as just a vacation turns into so much more when she learns about the hundreds of women (and men) who were accused of witchcraft in past centuries in Scotland.  Determined to right at least one of the wrongs of the past, Lou begins to dig into the mystery of a woman named Isobel Key.  She’s helped (and distracted) in her quest by Brian, the handsome Scottish tour guide who wants to show her a lot more than the scenery.



What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

Hmm.  Well, I guess it’s surprising that I traveled to China the first time I left the continent…and got stranded in Bejing without any knowledge of Mandarin.  Oops.  I was a college sophomore, and scared out of my mind.  That’s a story for another time: ask me about it sometime on Twitter!

When you’re not writing what do you do? Do you have any hobbies or guilty pleasures?

As you probably guessed from my answer above, I love to travel.  I’ve been to China, France, England, Scotland, Italy, the Bahamas, and Egypt so far: Egypt is, hands down, my favorite spot, although the city of Paris comes in at a close second.  Traveling influences my writing, not just in my settings, but the experience of traveling, for me, is a way to know myself better.  The world is an amazing place, and the more of it I see, the more it changes me.  Luckily, my husband loves to travel as much as I do!

What is next for you? Do you have any scheduled upcoming releases or works in progress?

I’m finishing up my last set of revisions on PRIESTESS OF MOAB, a New Adult Historical novel that I’ll be releasing on May 1, 2013.  In the meantime, I’m also working on a novella as a follow up to ISOBEL KEY, which I hope to be able to release at the start of 2013.  I love to stay busy!

What is in your to read pile?

So many things!!  OBSIDIAN by Kayla Curry, TWIXT by Diane Reed, and THIS DARK ENDEAVOR by Kenneth Oppel are just three that spring to mind, but my coffee table is covered with books.  Luckily, I’m a fast reader, so I should be able to devour all those and more before the winter holidays.

Thanks so much for having me on your blog today!  I’ve really enjoyed it!


RDB Oct 1

A Bibliophile's Thoughts on Books

Cover2CoverBlog

Whimsically Yours

Place of Reads Book Blog

Stuffed Shelves

Creatively Green

Fang-tastic Books

Roxanne’s Realm

Tour Oct 2-9

October 2 Interview and review
My Escape / 


October 3 Promo and review
Stuffed Shelves

October 4 Guest blog
Place of Reads Book Blog

October 5 Guest blog and review
Musing From An Addicted Reader

October 6 Review
The Avid Reader

October 7 Review
Books, Books, and More Books

October 8 Guest blog
Mila Ramos

October 9 Guest blog and review
On the Broomstick

October 9 Promo
Frankie Blooding 
Blooding Book Reviews



The Burning of Isobel Key
By Jen McConnel

Genre: Contemporary, New Adult

Publisher: BrightFish Press
ISBN: 978-0615684680

Number of pages: 290
Word Count: 64k

Cover Artist: Heidi Sutherlin

Book Trailer:  http://youtu.be/Xt-8nBLVBZ0

Book Description:

When Lou travels to Scotland, she's a mess. She is twenty-six, unemployed, and unsure of herself. It doesn't help that she's traveling with Tammy, her best friend, who is everything Lou is not. 
 
At first, the trip pushes Lou towards the brink of depression, but then she meets Brian, a handsome local tour guide. When Brian tells the tourists about the countless witches burned in Scotland, Lou starts to listen. And when she discovers information about Isobel Key, one of the victims of the seventeenth century, Lou finds renewed purpose. 
 
She sets out to learn the truth of the condemned witch, but she isn't prepared for the knowledge that waits for her. Lou must face her demons if she has any hope of righting the wrongs of the past.

Author Bio:

Jen McConnel first began writing poetry as a child.  Since then, her words have appeared in a variety of magazines and journals, including Sagewoman, PanGaia, and The Storyteller (where she won the people’s choice 3rd place award for her poem, “Luna”).

She is also an active reviewer for Voices of Youth Advocates (VOYA), and proud member of SCBWI, NCWN, and SCWW.  She lives in North Carolina, where she teaches writing at a community college.






a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment:

jennifermcconnel said...

Thanks so much for having me on your blog today! :)