CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 3, 2012

Interview: Guardian of the Abyss by Shannon Phoenix


Today we welcome mother and author Shannon Phoenix to the TCGWAHM



Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Hi Wenona! I write Paranormal Romances. I don't have any other pen names just yet. Perhaps in time I will add some, but for now, I intend to have several different universes within this genre.

I currently have the Supernaturals group, and I have started the first book of my Inner Earth group during NaNoWriMo.

Tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

Well, on Nov. 18, I released Guardian of the Abyss. This is a book about a gargoyle who has been trapped under the sea for hundreds of years. Alone and lost, he has gotten himself trapped in an underwater cavern.

Our leading lady, Sarah, is a free diver. She finds herself trapped with him when, unbeknownst to her, her diving partner tries to kill her. When she meets Abaddon, she struggles to get past the fear she has towards him.

Unfortunately, it becomes a race against time as she begins to die from being too far below sea level with inadequate air and food.

It was a great deal of fun to write, and I do hope that readers enjoy it as much as I did.

Are you a mom (or parent)?

Yes, I am a mom. I have a beautiful 6 year old daughter. And just because I'm biased doesn't mean it's not true. Right?

If yes do you find it hard to juggle writing and parenting?

You know, I used to find that very difficult. However, recently thanks to a retreat I went on that was just for writers (it's called When Words Count, and it was wonderful, by the way!) I've found that it's much easier now. I learned there to see myself as a mother, a wife, and a writer... rather than a mother and wife who writes when she can and isn't too tired and...

I find that I can now stay up late and write as I used to, without the same sense of guilt or embarrassment. I'm a writer as much as a mother. Provided that my daughter doesn't suffer for the choice, I can make my writing equal to anyone's profession.

That was very empowering for me, and I think that any mother who wishes to be an author would do well to remember that you don't have to be a mother who writes, or conversely a writer who mothers... you can be a writer, a mother, a wife, a cook... all the many things that you are or do.

Have you ever based your book or characters on actual events or people from your own life?

I don't make a practice of this because so frequently I feel the characters as if they are real people. That being said, there have been times when I've found that real life actions or events or habits have made their way in there. It's unusual, however; I think due to the sense I have of the characters as almost living beings inside my mind in their own right.

Is there a theme or message in your work that you would like readers to connect to?

If so, I would say that it would be, "Life without love isn't really living."

When you’re not writing what do you do? Do you have any hobbies or guilty pleasures?

I read other people's books. I love to read romances, especially paranormals. I also enjoy cooking--and my middle line shows it (and I'm not talking financially).

Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

I write fanfiction, as well as novels. I wrote one in which a young human woman saved a group of orcs from a concentration camp. Her name was Sophie. Now, I won't tell you what happened to Sophie in the end, but I will say that in many ways, I related to her far more than I would wish.

Sophie is an epic character, in that she's flawed like we all are, but she's also deeply heroic as we all wish we were. She's a genuinely good, decent person, albeit sickeningly and irritatingly self-effacing. She's an absolutely lovable character on every level, and the end of her story leaves you both weeping and filled with intense joy.

The name of that one, by the way, is When Orcs Cry Freedom.

If this book is part of a series…what is the next book? Any details you can share?

This book isn't part of a series, but it's part of a universe, for lack of a better term. The series in the Supernaturals universe is called Supernaturals Now. The second book in that will be on the printing room floor in early 2013.

Guardian of the Abyss, on the other hand, is one of the Supernatural Singles group. This group of books are all stand-alone books. Each of them, however, support or expand on various aspects of the main series.

What is next for you? Do you have any scheduled upcoming releases or works in progress?

If it works out, the next book will be called Outcast (maybe), and it's an Inner Earth book. In this grouping, there are shapeshifters who live inside the Earth... and they're coming out. They haven't experienced war for hundreds of years, but now they're in the midst of a bloody one, and it's spilling over.

Jasper has been exiled for saving his King. He's considered a murderer, and fled to Outer Earth. Here, he has met Katrina, inadvertently pulling her into his flight. But it's hard to say what the outcome will be for an outcast and a cosmochemist.
That's a real word. Just sayin'!

Thank you for having me on your blog today, and I would like to reiterate for mothers everywhere... be all that you can be beside being a mom. Your kids will thank you for it later!



December 3 Interview
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

December 3 Spotlight

December 4 Promo
Book On A Wire

December 4 Interview
Marked By Books 

December 5 Guest blog
Roxanne’s Realm

December 6 Guest blog
Cloey's Book Reviews and Other Stuff

December 7 Guest blog and review
Wolf Majick Reviews

December 7 Promo
DEB SANDERS

December 8 Guest blog
Carly Fall - Where Fantasy Meets Romance

December 9 Interview

December 9 - promo and review 
Beverly @ The Wormhole 

December 10 Guest blog
Fang-tastic Books




Guardian of the Abyss
Supernatural Singles
Shannon Phoenix

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Number of pages: 127
Word Count: 43,500

Book Description:

Buried at sea by the sorcerers who created him, Abaddon is unable to heal himself and unable to replenish his energy. He has lived here for longer than he can remember, with no hope of escape. Time is against him as the sea eats away at him, body and soul.

When her diving partner tries to kill her to take over her company, Sarah finds herself trapped beneath the waves and dying. Having brought light to Abaddon's dark existence at last, only she can grant him the courage to do what must be done to escape his watery prison.

Abaddon must sacrifice his wings to save her. Sarah must come to terms with being trapped with someone she has been raised to believe is a demon, and face the betrayal that nearly destroyed her and the company she built. Together, they must take on the ocean and their own fears. The consequence of failure is death.

About the Author:

Shannon Phoenix always wrote stories. She watched the characters take on their lives within her mind, and began to write down what they were doing. She would write the stories and then let them go. But a few years ago, she got caught writing those stories. You know... those stories.
To her surprise, the person who found her stories loved her characters as much as Shannon did. She tentatively allowed others to read the stories, as well, and it was from that first foray into the scary world of letting others read her 'little tales' that Shannon Phoenix Books was born.

Shannon lives in New Hampshire with her husband John, her daughter, and their family cat, Song. Her full time job is parenting, her part time job is as a mother's helper to a family friend, and her passion is letting the characters in her mind out on paper--or keyboard, as the case may be.

Welcome to Shannon Phoenix Books. May you find the magic in your own life.

1 comment:

shannonphoenix said...

Hi Wenona!

Thank you for that fun interview. I really enjoyed it, and I hope that your readers do as well.

Your blog is lovely and a lot of fun.

~ Shannon Phoenix