CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 18, 2013

Interview with Karina Cooper



Welcome Karina! 

Hi, thanks for having me! I’m excited to make your acquaintance and meet your readers.

Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

I’m pretty much just me, across the board! I’m a full-time author and a part-time geek, with a foot in video games, steampunk, live-action roleplay, dress-up, and nerdy movies across the board. Okay, so that’s a lot of feet. That explains my dancing (in)abilities...
I write paranormal romance (which is usually crossed over with urban fantasy), steampunk urban fantasy (merged with Victorian hijinks!), and have plans to write across even more genres. I’m a machine. Er... a green machine. Wait, that makes me sound like the Hulk...

Tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

Wicked Lies is a novella in my wrapping-up Dark Mission series—a close look at a dystopian future where the Holy Order of St. Dominic runs things and witches are persecuted for an atrocity that humanity has blamed them for. It sits between the fourth book, Sacrifice the Wicked, and the final in the series, One for the Wicked.

What I love best is that it finally tells Jonas Stone’s story. Jonas is the best technical analyst the witch-hunting Mission has ever seen. He’s a troubleshooter, a touchstone for agents who need his expertise out in the field, and the baggage he carries is invisible to everyone—but one man, who somehow can see through the mask Jonas wears.

This is Avon’s first m/m release, and I’m so excited that they chose Jonas to lead the charge. I’m also donating everything I make from this novella to the It Gets Better Project (www.itgetsbetter.org). Because, you know, it matters.


What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

“Surprised” is such a strange word. I’m very open on my various social media—you know, my blog and Twitter and such—so I don’t have very many secrets. A lot of who I am is how I am. I think what readers might be really surprised to learn is that I don’t actually have characters in my head. I realize that it’s a common myth—writers always talk about characters being difficult or arguing with them or having conversations, and I just don’t. I care about my characters, but they aren’t “real” in my head. Of all the neurosis I have, voices in my head are not one. Sorry, myth-lovers! I’m a one-voice woman. Which is, you know... a whole other neurosis.

Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

Of all my characters, I really love Jonas Stone. He’s such an enigma, and when I first introduced him, I didn’t realize that he’d become such a staple—such a touchstone—for so many of the Mission agents. The more I wrote his parts, support to the others, the more I came to know him, and I knew he needed his own shot at love.

Jonas, that hard-working guy who will turn the world around for you, will always have a place in my heart.

If this book is part of a series…what is the next book? Any details you can share?

Next in the Dark Mission series is the finale, One for the Wicked, and I can do you better than details. Here’s a snippet, just for you!

One For the Wicked, a Dark Mission novel

“Are you thinking about your work again?”

His dark voice filled the interior, smooth and dangerous. She shivered, suddenly aware that she wasn’t looking outside anymore.

He’d caught her staring. Devouring, she admitted silently, and dropped her gaze to her hands, fisted around the straps of her purse.

“Not …” Her throat dried. “Not exactly.”

Her insides churned, a sudden ache low in her belly unfurling, heating.
Bad move. Very bad.

She knew the drill. Close quarters created a false sense of intimacy. Include the stress from her work, the additional pressure of doing something she’d already been forbidden to do, and she was a basket case of raw nerves.

Kayleigh didn’t date. She didn’t sleep with many men because most of them were colleagues. Nice men, or at least brainy men who were great on the lab floor and about as exciting as hothouse tomato juice anywhere else.

To say nothing of her job getting in the way.

Headlights cut through the windshield, pooled into the car. One hand left the steering wheel. Touched her arm.

It was gentle, and under the navy blazer she wore, it wasn’t as if she’d felt his skin, but her blood didn’t care. It surged through her body, circled around that small touch, and brought heat to her cheeks.

“Are you all right, Dr. Lauderdale?”

No. At the moment, she felt like the slumming child she’d once been accused of being.

Because all she wanted to do was jump his body like a raw piece of meat.

What book are you reading now?

Right now, I’m reading Dead Things by Stephen Blackmoore—so very good! I have to keep sneaking chapters in between work pages; shame on me, I know. I really recommend you give this one a read. Urban fantasy with a deeply noir vibe, I love it.


March 4 Guest blog and review
Jenn from Tynga's Reviews 

March 5 Guest Blog
Literary Escapism

March 6 Spotlight and review
Delighted Reader 

March 7 Spotlight
Readaholic's Reviews 

March 8 Guest blog and review
Books Make Me Happy

March 9 Interview
Book Lovin' Mamas – 

March 10 Interview and review
Vampire Romance Books

March 11 Interview
Catherine Bybee

March 12 Spotlight
Secret Southern Couture, 

March 13 Spotlight and review
Barb Hicks

March 14 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

March 15 Feature
Bewitching Book Tours Magazine

March 16 Spotlight and review
Books Books and More Books 
  
March 16 Interview and review
Words of Wisdom....from The Scarf Princess

March 17 Fantastic Fables event
Dark Faerie Tales  

March 18 Interview
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

March 19 Guest blog
Fang-tastic Books

March 21 Review
Bex 'n' Books

March 22 Spotlight and review
Book Liaison

March 23 Guest blog
Ramblings From This Chick

March 24 Spotlight and review
Coffee & A Book Anytime

March 25 Spoltight
A Girl and Her Kindle 

March 26 Guest blog and review
Butterfly-o-Meter Books

March 27 Interview
Pembroke Sinclair

March 28 review
Urban Girl Reader – 

March 29 Review
Sapphyria's Steamy Book Reviews

March 30 Spotlight  and review 

March 31 Spotlight
Pure Textuality

April 1 Spotlight and review






Wicked Lies
A Dark Mission Novella
Karina Cooper

Genre: Paranormal Romance (Avon’s first male-male romance)

Publisher: Avon Impulse

Date of Publication: 3/5/2013

ISBN: 9780062126733
ASIN: B0092QPCXS

Number of pages: 112
Word Count: 29,159

Formats available: e-book

Book Description:

Jonas Stone has been given his first independent operation: rescue the insurrection leader’s imprisoned grandson from the Mission. Getting the job done means more than getting Danny Granger out-it means staying with him while he heals. Staying too close, for way too long.

Danny is everything Jonas isn’t: confident, optimistic, honest--a man to be reckoned with. If only it didn’t mean going against everything Jonas has planned. He’s kept his secrets for years, hid behind a mask no one could see through...until now. Danny isn’t the kind of man Jonas deserves. But he might be exactly the man he needs...

Purchase Link:


About the Author:

Born from the genetic mash-up of lesser royalty, storytellers, wanderers and dreamers, KARINA COOPER was destined to be a creative genius. As a child, she moved all over the country like some kind of waifish blonde gypsy and thrived in the new cultures her family settled in. When she (finally) grew up, she skipped the whole genius part and fell in love with writing because, really, who doesn’t love making things up for a living?

One part romance fanatic, one part total dork, and all imagination, she writes dark and sexy paranormal romance and urban fantasy. When she isn’t writing, Karina is an airship captain’s wife and Steampunk fashionista. She lives in the beautiful and rainy Pacific Northwest with a husband, four cats, two rabbits, the fantasy of a dog, and a passel of adopted gamer geeks.



Twitter: @karinacooper 

a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments: