CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Interview with the Authors of Shadows in the Mist


1. Dawn Kravagna, Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

I began writing stories in first grade, and because the lined paper we were given had a large space above, I began illustrating my stories. Comedy writing comes more naturally to me and I'm a cartoonist, having exhibited at several ComiCons, including the San Diego ComiCon, promoting my cartoon comedy mystery, Cattle Capers#1: Search For The MooMoo Pearl. I do caricature and attempting comic strip syndication for some years before deciding I'd put my English/Creative Writing degree to work, instead, writing stories. "Evil Bites" is a bit of a diversion for me, but I think I've come up with a fairly scary story with a good theme: It's dangerous to pursue evil.

2. Dawn Kravagna: Tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

My latest ebook project was "Murderous Critters #1", four stories based upon my Cattle Capers (tm) characters. I'm currently finishing up novel #2, Cattle Capers: The Cheep Brigade Terror and hope to have it completed by March 2014 end for Seattle's Emerald City ComiCon.

3. Dawn Kravagna: Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

My favorite is bull cow Crazy Cal, the intern sidekick to bovine detective Adam Steer. He's a great character because he is so spontaneous and unpredictable in his behavior: I can do almost anything with him. Yet, he has a soft side, which makes him relatable to the reader.

4. Kristine Cayne: Have you ever based your book or characters on actual events or people from your own life?

I’ve never modelled an entire character on a person or a story on an actual event, but I do use traits from real people. Likewise, certain real life events do play into my stories. For example, the Navy really does have a Marine Mammal Program in which dolphins and seals are used to protect Navy installations around the world. It is also true that the Navy is looking for ways to replace this program. 

5. Kristine Cayne: Is there a theme or message in your work that you would like readers to connect to?

In general terms, most of my stories revolve around the message that it’s okay to be different. In Origins, this message is taken to the extreme. While Wyatt and the men of MER are no longer completely human, Claire accepts them for who and what they are. She’s not blind to the difficulties and risks, but she’s also open to the advantages their differences bring.

6. Marianne Stillings: What would your readers be surprised to learn about you? 

My readers would probably be surprised to learn that I’m very shy. Because of my sense of humor, people assume I’m extroverted, but I’m not. At parties where I don’t know anyone, I’ll sit or stand in a corner and if nobody approaches me, that’s where I’ll be all night. 

7. Marianne Stillings: When you’re not writing what do you do? Do you have any hobbies or guilty pleasures?

I am interested in so many things, I have too many hobbies to fit into one lifetime. Creativity is in my DNA – I come from a long line of artisans and entrepreneurs and it’s always been part of me to make things. So I write and knit and crochet and draw and paint and make mosaics and quilts and bake and design - all that, and more. At one point, I wanted to be an architect or engineer, but was told girls didn’t do those sorts of things, so I put my unbridled urge to create into more gender acceptable crafts. 

8. Marianne Stillings: What is in your to read pile? 

Every book ever written is in my to-be-read pile. Years ago, there was a movie (based on the Betty Smith novel) called, “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.” There is a scene in it wherein Francie, the eleven year-old protagonist, goes to the library and asks the reference librarian for a book that will fulfill her one wish: “I want to know everything.” No character in film or literature has ever captured my own world view more completely.

9. Sherri Shaw: Which romance book or series (or other genre, if you don’t write romance) do you wish you had written? 

I wish I had written the Harry Potter series. I like to read YA and have some ideas of my own for some YA books. I love J.K. Rowlings imagination and the way she brings her reader into her world.

10. Sherri Shaw: Is there a genre(s) that you’d like to write that you haven’t tackled yet? 

I have dabbled in Steampunk and hope to find just the right plot to create something inventive and fun.

11. KL Mullens: If this book is part of a series…what is the next book? Any details you can share?

The book is not part of a series, but it did spawn ideas for several short stories based on the phases of the moon and superstitions that surround them. One of my great-great grandmothers was rumored to be of either the Mattapony or Pamukey tribes in Virginia. She was born in the mid-1800s so I am researching that time period for a future work. 

12. KL Mullens: What is next for you? Do you have any scheduled upcoming releases or works in progress? 

My current WIP is a new adult series about a clairsentient girl who learns that freedom's not just another name for nothing left to lose and she'll need to use all her clairsentient gifts to prove it.

13. KL Mullens: What book are you reading now?

 I am reading several: What Moves at the Margin by Toni Morrison; Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children; and Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.





December 9 Interview
Fang-tastic Books

December 10 Spotlight
Roxanne’s Realm

December 11 Spotlight and review
Penny For Them...

December 12 Interview
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

December 13 Interview
Pembroke Sinclair. 

December 16 Spotlight
Lisa’s World of Books

December 17 Interview
Fantasy Book Addict

December 19 Spotlight
Shut Up & Read 

December 20 Spotlight
Mythical Books

December 23 Interview and review
Nyxx's Nook

December 23 review
Nicky Peacock Author



Shadows in the Mist
Marianne Stillings, Kristine Cayne, Sherri Shaw, Shannon O’Brien, KL Mullens, Dawn Kravagna.

Genre: Paranormal romance
Publisher: Kristine Cayne

ISBN: 978-0-9891970-2-1

Number of pages: 230
Word Count:  110k

Cover Artist: Sherribydesign.com

Book Description:

From the misty waters of Puget Sound across the wrinkles of time to the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius, mystery and magic intertwine to create haunting tales of everlasting passion.

Murder at the Mausoleum
by Marianne Stillings
17,000 words

Out of work and desperate for a job, Stephanie Gabriel reluctantly accepts a position as Housekeeper/Girl Friday for Dr. John Mercilus at his isolated Northern California mansion. Sure, he's wealthy, hunky, and single, but the fact he's a Vampire has Stephanie more than a little worried. Though Mercilus promises she'll come to no harm, there is nonetheless danger afoot. When a major snowstorm maroons them along with an odd assortment of house guests, it's more than inconvenient – it's murder, and the clues all point to Stephanie's boss as the culprit.

Now she has to decide whether to trust the enigmatic "Creature of the Night" she's falling for, or find a means of escape before she becomes the next victim.

Spellbound in Seattle
by Shannon O’Brien
17,600 words

When Rose McCarty’s boyfriend was killed, she swore off witchcraft and love. But when his tall, dark older brother washes up on her houseboat’s deck three years later—muttering about doppelgangers and incubi—Rose’s lonely, spell-free world comes crashing down.

Dead Moon
by KL Mullens
11,000 words

During a Dead Moon Elspeth Saint has a strange encounter she can't explain and a door previously closed becomes open; a gift is given; a promise is kept; and Elspeth who has never known what it is to be loved; learns what it is to be cherished.

Evil Bites
by Dawn Kravagna
16,500 words

Kim seeks revenge on the serial killer who viciously attacked and maimed her lovely sister. But she soon discovers that evil can bite back.

The Eye of Lilith
by Sherri Shaw
19,500 words

Marc Blakely has been bewitched by a rare artifact rumored to drive a man insane before compelling him to commit suicide. As a member of the Speaker of the Word coven, Cindi Jones uses her magic to destroy enchanted relics and protect the innocents they infect. Can she save Marc in time, or will he succumb to the Eye of Lilith?

Origins: The Men of MER
by Kristine Cayne
28,500 words

Petty Officer Wyatt Black had no idea what he signed up for by joining the Navy's experimental MER program. When a domestic terrorist attack almost kills Dr. Claire Montgomery, the woman of Wyatt's dreams, he is exposed to a lethal illness that poses a horrifying threat to mankind—but only because of what the Navy has done to him. In the midst of saving Claire's life, Wyatt is forced to face the terrifying truth of what he has become: something not quite human.

About the Rainy Day Writers:

Writing fiction is difficult and lonely and more often than not, the “normal” people in your life don’t understand the writing process and can’t fathom why you are possessed and obsessed with finding the perfect word or phrase that says exactly what you want to say right where you want to say it. Only other writers comprehend and accept that kind of torment.

To fill this need to surround herself with like-minded obsessive-compulsive self-doubting lunatics, in 2005, Marianne Stillings established what came to be known as The Rainy Day Writers.

There were only two requirements for joining the group: You must be serious about writing and getting published, and any criticisms of co-members’ work be honest, gentle, and kind.

Over the years, the membership has changed; some people moved on, others joined. The group we have now has been stable and constant since 2009. The Rainy Day Writers are a family.

Find the authors at:





Twitter: @CattleCapers










a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment:

Kristine Cayne said...

Thank you for the great interview and the lovely post!