CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Interview with Susan C. Muller Author of Voodoo on Bayou Lafonte



Are you a mom?

I am a mom and a grandmother. I have two grown children that I am very proud of. My son is an attorney and my daughter is a homeschooling mom. I have four grandchildren. The oldest just graduated from University of Texas School of Engineering and started his first job. My youngest is eight years old.

Have you ever based your book or characters on actual events or people from your own life?

I have a short story, Redeeming Santa, that was inspired by Texas most infamous bank robbery on December 23, 1927. Other than that, all my stories and characters are complete fiction. That said, all writers draw to some extent on what they know. If my characters go into a restaurant, the sign outside might be similar to one I’ve seen, the inside decor like another I frequent, and the waitress’ uniform similar to one on TV.
If I need my villain to drive down a suburban street, the houses might end up looking like my neighborhood. That doesn’t mean I think someone on my block is a murderer.

Is there a theme or message in your work that you would like readers to connect to?

I think the theme or message in Voodoo on Bayou Lafonte, has to do with the importance of communication.

Remy and Gabby fell in love at fifteen. When Gabby got pregnant, they married two days after high school graduation. Although they never stopped loving each other, they divorced three years later when Remy went to Houston to look for work and Gabby refused to follow. If they had sat down and discussed their reasons, Gabby might understood Remy’s need to be able to support his family, and Remy might have seen that Gabby was afraid to leave the only place she had ever felt safe.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

 I’ve visited every continent except Antarctica. I’ve snorkeled with sharks in the Galapagos Islands, trudged up to the Acropolis, and floated down the Amazon.
 For my seventieth birthday, I gave myself the gift of a trip to Venezuela where I hiked (half-way) to Angel Falls and slept in a hammock in the middle of the rain forest.

When you’re not writing what do you do? Do you have any hobbies or guilty pleasures?

I like to travel, read, snorkel, play cards, visit with my children and grandchildren, and walk my dog. A massage or a pedicure will make me a happy camper.

Which romance book or series (or other genre, if you don’t write romance) do you wish you had written?

I love Jim Butcher’s The Dresden Files, featuring Chicago’s only professional wizard. In every book I’m amazed at his imagination and ability to weave together an intricate plot that makes each book a gem, yet carries through the series.

If this book is part of a series…what is the next book? Any details you can share?


Voodoo on Bayou Lafonte is the third book in my Occult series and is the last book scheduled for this series. Or is it? Each of the first three books has featured a character named Tenequa, who can flip from Tenequa the Terrible to Tenequa the Kid Whisperer in two seconds flat. She’s also Tenequa the part-time reverend. I think maybe she deserves her own book. I picture her finding a beautiful bottle that contains a djinn or genie. What do you think?

Voodoo on Bayou Lafonte
Occult Series
Book 3
Susan C. Muller

Genre: Paranormal romantic suspense

Publisher:  Soul Mate Publishing
Date of Publication: Jan 2 , 2014

Word Count: 80,000

Cover Artist: Rae Monet

Book Description:

A frantic phone call leads Detective Remy Steinberg racing through the night toward the one place he vowed never to return. With the life of his kidnapped daughter at stake, he willingly faces shotgun-wielding drug dealers, corrupt law-enforcement officials, and a raging hurricane.

Scouring the seedy back alleys of New Orleans for information, he goes undercover at a sinister voodoo ceremony, and struggles to understand the forces of black magic that hold his daughter hostage.

With time ticking down, he battles for his life against a high voodoo priest, but can he face the two things he fears most: the swamp that terrorized his childhood, and the ex-wife he’s never stopped loving?

Detective Remy Steinberg must return to Louisiana in search of his kidnapped daughter. Can he save her before the swamp swallows her up and he loses any chance at happiness?

Amazon


About the Author:

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m a fourth generation Texan and I attended Stephen F. Austin State University where I majored in Business Administration, but took creative writing classes on the side because that’s where my heart was.

I have always loved reading and if it’s true that God doesn’t subtract the hours you spend reading from your life span, then I should pass the century mark with flying colors. I first tried my hand at writing when I was eleven, but the sun was shining and I had a new bike so that effort was doomed to failure.

I didn’t try writing again until I was well into my sixties. People ask me why I took it up then and my answer is simple, because my husband retired. If you don’t understand, just wait, you will.

My first novel, The Secrets on Forest Bend, won several awards. After that, I was hooked.

I’ve been blessed with two great kids and four grandkids. My late husband and I loved to travel and we saw much of the world. Kenya, New Zealand, and the Galapagos Islands are a few of my favorite places. After he passed, I thought my traveling days were over, yet I’ve since been to Argentina, Brazil, and Venezuela.

I live in Spring, Texas where I currently serve as president of the Northwest Houston chapter of RWA and volunteer at a local hospital. I also enjoy speaking to book clubs and writers groups.



Twitter: @susancmuller


Jan 6 Spotlight
Night Owl Reviews

Jan 7 Guest Blog
Coffee Addicted Writer

Jan 8 Guest blog and review
Erzabet Bishop

Jan 9 Interview
Paranormal Romance Fans for Life

Jan 10 Interview
Diane’s Book Blog

Jan 13 Spotlight
Buried Under Books

Jan 15 Guest blog
Fang-tastic Books

Jan 16 Guest blog
Musings of Mistress of the Dark Path 

Jan 17 Interview
Roxanne’s Realm

Jan 20 Spotlight
Offbeat Vagabond

Jan 20 Interview
Pembroke Sinclair.  

Jan 21 Spotlight
Ramblings of a Book Lunatic

Jan 22 Spotlight
Share My Destiny

Jan 22 Spotlight
Fang Freakin' Tastic Reviews

Jan 23 Guest blog
Sarah Ballance 

Jan 23 Spotlight
Inner Goddess   

Jan 24 Guest blog
Laurie's Paranormal Thoughts and Reviews

Jan 27 Spotlight
Lisa’s World of Books

Jan 28 Interview
The Creatively Green Write at Home Mom

Jan 29 Spotlight and review
Deb Sanders

Jan 30 Spotlight and review
The Book Review 

Jan 31 Guest blog
Midnight Musings with Bertena 

Feb 3 Interview
Books, Books The Magical Fruit



6 comments:

Susan M said...

Thanks for having me on your blog today. :)

Christie Craig said...

Having read Susan's book, I recommend it to everyone. And I loved the blog. I don't think I could made it half way up Angel Falls. LOL.
CC

Linda Bennett Pennell said...

Interesting interview, Susan! Sounds like you keep your bags packed!

Loretta said...

Hi there, Susan:)...I enjoyed the blog and hearing about your latest adventures:) I'm just a skootch (ah, spell check hated that one!;) surprised at the sleep over in the rain forest:) I've always known you're a Betty Crocker look alike in drag, but even so, sleeping in a hammock in the rain forest? Lordy woman, what's your sign??? You've got to have some wild things hoverin' in your natal chart!:)
Loved it all, and your latest sounds like another page turner!

Wagglin' my fingers at you,

Lo/ZuZu

C.D. Hersh said...

Wow if reading time doesn't count then Donald is going to be right there with you. He reads all the time when not writing since he retired. Loved both your books and now know why they have the theme of discovery included.

Susan M said...

Thanks guys, you made my day!!