Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Review of Vegan al Fresco by Carla Kelly



First of all I will confess, I am not a vegan, I’m not even a vegetarian.

Some people find it hard to believe that I am a green living guru without being a vegetarian. I could argue stats and facts all day long about pros and cons, history and health regarding whether or not being a vegan or vegetarian can contribute to saving the environment but the simple fact is, it all boils down to personal choice and preference. I like meat.

But…I also like my veggies and eating vegan dishes doesn’t bother me at all. I always love to have options when it comes to food. Plus I have vegan and vegetarian friends so it’s nice to have some recipes on hand when they come over for a cookout or dinner party.

This book provides some great recipes and it covers everything- from seasonings to desserts. It has tons of recipes for dips and sauces, salsas and relishes (I love appetizers) there are even recipes for drinks.

Some of my favorite recipes are the Smoky and Salty Roasted Nuts…and the Pumpkin Corn Cakes…those are going to be a great autumn dish.

The salad recipes make my mouth water and the grilled dishes are creative and inspired. But it’s the desserts that my family really loves. Vegan Ice Creams (several flavors, all delicious but my husband is truly in love with the Coconut), Banana and Carrot Cake, and the cookies…even your little cookie monster will love these.

This book has a huge selection of recipes, everything you need if you’ll be hosting a cookout or get together with vegan or vegetarian friends.

One complaint about the book- not enough images, I like recipes to come with photos of the food. Not every recipe has a corresponding photo, though there are enough images that the book is not bland. I just like to see the food, it makes me want to make it (and eat it) that much more.

But reading the descriptions was good enough to make my mouth water with anticipation.

Whether you are a vegan looking for new recipes or a non-vegan like me who just wants to broaden their food horizons and have options when hosting vegan friends, this book is a must have for your kitchen.


Available at Amazon and most major book retailers

No comments: