Saturday, May 30, 2015

Making My First Batch of Bone Broth

In an effort to eat healthier and more natural I've been reading about "Homesteading".

I've always been a DIY girl- gardening, crafting...but food prep is something I hate. And something I very much need to get better with.

There are many other aspects of homesteading that I am not delving into yet.

Not quite ready to start a farm but I am experimenting with the more "old fashioned" ways of preserving food and cooking. Nothing ever used to go to waste. Scraps were saved for broths and soups, animal feed, compost, or to grow new food (some vegetables will grow from scraps or plant pieces like celery). 

Even bones were used instead of throwing them out.

This summer's goal is to learn to do more with food preservation- canning, baking, freezing, dehydrating, etc.

So today I am making my first batch of bone broth. I have an entire chicken frame in the crock pot cooking with water, spices and some veggies. It has to cook for at least 24 hours.

After that I'm straining it and using it to make soup.

Wish me luck on my first adventure in "homesteading" food.

I'll post some photos and how to advice if this all turns out :-)

No comments: