Since we all would love to save the world from imminent danger without super powers, this task would probably be impossible. However, spy movies allow mere mortals extraordinary skills in the worst of situation.
10. Mission Impossible and 007—These two franchise are old throw backs that were almost left off. Sometimes the series hits it out of the park, like Sky Fall and Casino Royal, or falls flat like MI-2. These oldie but goodies are a tie since we know exactly what we are getting into when we sit down to watch them.
9. Haywire (2011)—Not the best acting but the fight scenes are worth it. I’m all for girl power and Haywire definitely provides that.
8. Bourne Identity —Also a franchise, but the modern ‘flip’ shakes things up a bit more then Mission Impossible and 007.
6. Salt (2010)—Angelina Jolie revisit her spy roots in this movie with grit. It was good enough to watch a sequel.
7. All the President’s Men (1976)—The only movie on the list that doesn’t have spies but is about spying. I couldn’t resist adding this to the list, because the acting is awesome and there still a whole lot of intrigue.
5. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005)—This movie has action, romance, and humor. It even has Vince Vaughn in his first ‘not that annoying but still kind of annoying’ role.
4. Three days of the Condor (1975)—Another Robert Redford throwback that doesn’t end the way a spy movie should … or maybe it does. Trust me and put it on your Netflix list to find out.
3. Safe House (2012)—This movie, with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds, is a tricky spy movie in which the audience couldn’t care less who they should root for. Usually we want the good guy to win, but that bad guy seems to be all right, too.
2. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)—This one is a hoot. Sam Rockwell knocks this mind-blowing ride out of the park. In fact, this movie was so good that many people had to ask if the dude from the Gong Show really was a spy or not.
1. Argo (2012)—Another must see, this Ben Affleck film was good from beginning to end. This one is even based off of a true story.