1) A sexy bad boy character with a secret heart of gold. I prefer him to be a bit flawed, too. So, maybe a scar down his cheek, or recovering alcoholic, something to make him more real.
2) A strong female character who sets out to tame the bad boy, only to find herself changed for the better because of him. She shouldn’t be too pretty, though. Again, I like my characters real.
3) An element of magic.
4) Something new, unique, or different. A story I haven’t read a million times before.
5) A bit of mystery. Whether it’s the plot, a character, I don’t care, but I don’t want everything to be too obvious or predictable. Surprise me!
6) Humor. I love characters who keep their sense of humor, even in the darkest, most stressful situations.
7) Even if it’s paranormal fiction or sci-fy, make it believable. I want to close that book thinking whatever those characters went through could happen to me.
8) Not just steamy sex, but also romance. It’s far more compelling and memorable.
9) A great setting. Take me somewhere I’ve never been before!
10) A satisfying ending. I hate feeling like I wasted my time because the ending is meaningless or trite. There really must be a happy ending.
I endeavor to write novels that include all of the above elements. I believe I’ve succeeded with my latest novel, Near The Wild.