Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Three of the Greatest Meals of My Life So Far Guest blog with Emily Kimelman





Three of the Greatest Meals of My Life So Far

Food is very important to me but it doesn’t come up much in my Sydney Rye mysteries because my protagonist, Sydney Rye, doesn’t have time to think about it. She’s usually busy with all sorts of important “fighting for justice” stuff. Granted, she loves oysters, even lived on an oyster farm for awhile in DEATH IN THE DARK, and Sydney makes one hell of a tequila gimlet but the fact is food and drink are not her focus.

However, international justice seeker, I am not. I, the author, am but a mere vagabond with little more to think upon then what my next meal will be. Since food is such a preoccupation for me, today, I’d like to share three of the greatest meals of my life so far (in no particular order).

Borche in a Ger

While riding horses in Mongolia we hit a patch of bad weather and had to canter through sideways, freezing rain for hours. When we finally made it to camp my hands and face were numb. I was wet and cold to my bones. That night our cook stirred up a pot of borche on her little, dung-fire stove. She served the beet stew with yogurt from the local herders. I’d never tasted anything like it. The hardy stew warmed me, bringing color and heat to my cheeks. That night I fell asleep near the fire while rain pelted the felt covered ger. I don’t think I’ve ever felt cozier. 

Crawfish on a balcony

While visiting New Orleans, the home town of my friend, and cover artist, Autumn Whitehurst, I ate crawfish on a balcony, overlooking streets busy with music and fun. The boys (my husband Sean, Autumn’s boyfriend, Chris, and Will, Autumn’s brother) pulled a table out onto the balcony of the apartment we were renting. They put a lamp, it’s base wrapped in a plastic bag, at the center of the table. Then they covered the whole thing with newspaper. To serve, they dumped the bags of crawfish out into the center, mounding it around the lamp. We ate the crawfish with our fingers and gulped down ice cold beer that the girls (me, autumn, and my good friend, Mette) had brought. It was a warm night, music floated up from the street, the crawfish tasted salty and lemony with a spice mixture totally New Orleans. I’ve never felt so at home in a strange place as I did that night.

Giant Snails on a First Date

On my first official date with my husband, Sean, he took me to a very nice restaurant in our neighborhood of Park Slope, Brooklyn. It was famous for it’s raw bar and though I didn’t like oysters (Sean changed this in the years to come) I admitted to enjoying escargot. Sean told the waiter to bring us two of the Welks he’d spied on ice at the bar.  They came in the shell and were by far the largest snails I’d ever encountered. The snails came out of their shells with a pop and quivered on the end of our forks, slimy and leopard spotted. We made eye contact and smiled weakly. Options seemed bad, I could either put this whole thing in my mouth and hope it wasn’t going to be horrible or I could try taking a bite and risk my new beau seeing me gnaw on a giant slug. We both went for the all in approach and were pleasantly surprised. The snail was neither tough nor slimy, it was perfect, the perfect escargot. I don’t know if it was the snails but Sean and I left that restaurant madly in love. There are not many people who enjoy a good Welk, and we’d found each other.

So there you have it, three of my favorite meals. What are your favorite meals? Do you think they were good because of the place or the food or the company or a combo? Anyone know where to get Welks from a raw bar? We have not been able to find them since that night.

Emily Kimelman’s first novel UNLEASHED received the “Awesome Indie” of the year award in 2011 and is a Kindle Top 100 bestseller. The follow up novella, DEATH IN THE DARK, was released in December 2012 and debuted in the Mystery Kindle Top 100. INSATIABLE, the third book in the series released January 2013 has joined the other Sydney Rye mysteries on the bestseller lists for Hard Boiled and Mystery.

The Sydney Rye series is recommended for the 18+ who enjoy some violence, don't mind dirty language, and are up for a dash of sex. Not to mention an awesome, rollicking good mystery!

During the summers Emily lives on the Hudson River aboard OUR WAY, her trusty trawler, with her husband, Sean, and their dog, Kinsey (named after Kinsey Milhone). The rest of the year they are vagabonds and can be found anywhere from Goa, to Paris, to New Orleans, to San Francisco. You can follow Emily on Twitter, Facebook, and her blog where she shares photos from her travels and updates on the Sydney Rye series.





INSATIABLE
A Sydney Rye Novel Book Three
Emily Kimelman

Dark Murder Mystery

ISBN: 1470136023
ISBN-13: 978-1470136024

Number of pages: about 320
Word Count:  75,000

Cover Artist: Autumn Whitehurst

Book Description:

INSATIABLE is the third novel in my Sydney Rye Series of dark murder mysteries. This series feature a strong female protagonist and her canine best friend. It is recommended for the 18+ who enjoy some violence, don't mind dirty language, and are up for a dash of sex. Not to mention an awesome, rollicking good mystery!

INSATIABLE begins with private detective Sydney Rye living a simple, disciplined life in London, but when a dangerous man from her past calls, Rye finds she cannot turn him away. Robert Maxim explains that the daughter of a powerful friend has gone missing and he wants Rye to find her. In exchange he offers her something she had given up hope of ever having; freedom from her past.

With her dog, Blue, at her side, Rye meets up with her new partner, a handsome man she's not sure she can trust. Heading for Mexico City, they go undercover, posing as husband and wife. After meeting with the bereaved parents, Rye starts to sense that there is more going on than just a missing girl. But it isn't until they arrive in the Yucatan Peninsula, hot on the girl's trail in Paradise, that all hell breaks loose. Sydney has to reach out for help from old friends and deal with the consequences of her past, if she's going to find the girl and keep them all alive.

Author Bio:

Emily Kimelman lives on a boat in the Hudson Valley with her husband, Sean and their dog Kinsey (named after Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone). Kimelman has a passion for traveling and spends as much time as possible in the pursuit of adventure.

Her Sydney Rye series feature a strong female protagonist and her canine best friend. It is recommended for the 18+ who enjoy some violence, don't mind dirty language, and are up for a dash of sex. Not to mention an awesome, rollicking good mystery!




No comments: